Despite media reports that three foreigners had been killed and more than 50 shops set ablaze in the latest xenophobic attacks in South Africa which began on August 28, 2019, unperturbed Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, the governor of Kano State, has announced his determination to partner with a South African company, Denel Soc Ltd, in a bid to end the security issues in Kaduna State.
The company was established as a state-owned industrial company under the Ministry of Public Enterprises in April 1992 which specialises in building defence equipment.
Some of the products developed by Denel include Mokopa tandem warhead anti-tank guided missile, with a range of 10 km, the 5th generation A-Darter air-to-air missile among others.
In a tweet, @GovKaduna said, “Governor Nasir Ahmad @elrufai with other senior officials of the Kaduna State Government are in Pretoria, visiting Denel Soc Ltd, manufacturers of defence equipment and strategic partner for innovative defence, security and related technology solution.”
The partnership was aimed at curbing the excesses of the kidnappers in the Northern State, which has become a kidnap zone, most especially the Kaduna-Abuja road, where the governor a few months ago had to halt an abduction of road users.
But hundreds of Nigerians who took to Twitter faulted the collaboration with the South African company.
Unanimously, they said it should not be at the time shops owned by Nigerians are being set ablaze in the former Apartheid country.
See some of them below
“Good move to protect Kaduna, but in the face of xenophobia against Nigerians in South Africa. I don’t believe we should be doing business with them till they improve these diplomatic issues,” tweeted Kunle Lawal.
Another user said, “You’re busy visiting people that kill and burn your citizens. This is why Nigeria remain where we are.” Tech Catalyst.
Sir @elrufai seize that opportunity to challenge their government why their citizens keep on attacking and killing foreigners. You need to address this issue too because its sadden
— olasupo tayo tgentle (@tayota_rapper) September 2, 2019
Another Twitter user Fulani tweeted, “Nigerians have to suspend any tie with South Africa until something is done about maiming and killing of our citizens. Our ability to adapt to many forms of insecurities have led us into forsaking our brothers in the hands of murderous SA. #Xenophobia”
You can also join the conversation.